University of Denver gymnast Nina McGee has made history.
McGee became the Pioneers’ first NCAA Individual Champion in the gymnastics floor exercise with her 9.950 score at this month’s NCAA Championship in Fort Worth, Texas.
Five years ago, McGee’s future in gymnastics was uncertain. She had to make the difficult choice whether to give up gymnastics or have metal rods put into her legs to mitigate shin splints and stress fractures of the tibias in both legs. She decided to compete.
And at this year’s championship, she did just that. In addition to taking home the floor exercise title, McGee earned three All-American honors: first team in the all-around and floor exercise and second team on the bars.
Here are a few other outstanding achievements made by DU athletics so far this school year:
- Women’s Tennis: Third-consecutive Summit League Title
- Men’s Tennis: Third-consecutive Summit League Title
- Women’s Golf: Third-consecutive Summit League Title
- Men’s Hockey: Advanced to Frozen Four in NCAA Championship
- Ski Team: 2015-2016 NCAA Champions
As a DU alumnus, Scott Reiman has been a longtime member of the University community and supports the school’s athletic programs.